🤓 Software Engineering Manager
16 000 - 24 000 PLN net
🌍 Shedul | Al. Jerozolimskie 81, Warszawa🖥 http://www.shedul.com
👉 Nice to have:
Do you want to work for Shedul.com, a fast-growing platform that is revolutionizing the beauty and wellness industry? We are an incredibly ambitious, innovative and fast-growing global software startup with offices in Warsaw, London, and Dubai. Our high-traffic booking platform has quickly become a game-changing industry leader, with user base in over 200 countries. Our users transact millions of appointment bookings monthly, with thousands of active users at any tim
Today we’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager - a person who'll lead our software development teams (2-3 of them) in the trenches (& manage their working environment) of their never-ending quest to bring unparalleled value to both beauty salons & their demanding customers.
This person is expected to represent the values standing behind the roles of both a great Leader & a great Manager:
- instead of telling people what to do (& how to do), agree & clarify goals, set the expectations & provide a frequent, ad-hoc feedback
- lead in the trenches, participate in teams' daily work, learn (& understand) their pains from the 1st person's perspective
- identify everyone's strong & weak spots, help with utilizing the former while supporting the development (or reducing the negative impact) of the latter
- make sure that concerns & standpoints of all colliding perspectives (technical, delivery, product, people, ...) are noted, taken under consideration & included
- embrace the priorities, make sure they are widely understandable & respected - be able to sense & identify the value (or lack of it ...) in whatever's being done
- monitor the communication with the stakeholders - be a keeper of transparency, guardian of accountability, sentinel of aware risk control
- own the delivery process, understand it in the deepest details, implement fact-based continuous improvement upon it
- be an effective "change agent" - able not only to propose & document the change but also to communicate it & execute it smoothly
- not a "boss", but a servant leader with "Getting Shit Done" attitude who knows how to empower people instead of directing them like mindless drones
- link to the informal announcement of this job offer: https://no-kill-switch.ghost.io/oferta-pracy-engin...
- link to our Stackshare profile: https://stackshare.io/shedul/shedul
- link to the description of our work model: https://no-kill-switch.ghost.io/the-triumvirate-of...
- link to the meet-up our team is organizing themselves: https://no-kill-switch.ghost.io/mixing-warsaw-ex/
- link to the post depicting how our engineers work: https://no-kill-switch.ghost.io/so-you-want-to-wor...
What will this person do (& what not)?
- In short words: actively lead & support the Delivery Teams by
- helping them to continuously improve
- identifying & removing impediments in the work environment
- providing expertise in areas where the engineers are sometimes lacking skills or experience, e.g. work breakdown, prioritization, risk management, lean process engineering, evolutionary product development, in-depth functional analysis
- In more detail:
- focus on Delivery Process (in real-life, not documents), delivery rhythm & People as key actors in this process (but "People" not just in separation, but also as "Teams")
- form a triumvirate of governance & support :) together with Product Owner (dimension of product) & Tech Leader (dimension of technology)
- co-operate with 1-3 teams (2 seems optimum)
- help with Teams' development (as human beings, engineers, talented people AND groups that do collaborate together)
- care for our culture & work environment - by questioning the reality, providing the feedback, asking proper questions, removing the impediments, escalating items beyond team's control, dealing with issues, making sure that communication is conducted (sufficient level of detail, promptness, audience, ...)
- facilitating the key elements of Delivery Process (in a way faithful to real Agile/Lean principles)
- play a leading role in Performance Management processes (360s, 1:1, ...)
- recruitment, on-boarding, people-related issues management (e.g. inter-personal conflicts)
- making sure that priorities remain sane (equilibrium between all dimensions - human-related, technology-related, process-related, people-related, ...)
- ... AAAAAAND many more
What qualities & skills do we require of this person?
- communication skills - not only in terms of being clear when speaking but also been a good ("active") listener
- emotional intelligence & empathy
- being assertive when confronted with pressure :)
- understanding of what company culture is & how it can be shaped (or at least - supported)
- understanding of why engineering culture is specific
- understanding of Agile principles & how modern delivery processes look alike → e.g. what does really stand behind Agile manifesto principles
- understanding of software delivery life-cycle (SDLC) → what has to happen to create a good, working software-based product/service
- understanding of basics of the most basic approaches (/processes) used to build software nowadays → Scrum, Kanban, XP
- ENERGY, ENERGY, ENERGY!
- willingness to work with people - this is not a role about sitting whole day in headphones and producing "best documents on the planet"
- some sort of passion (intrinsic motivation) & already present inspiration towards:
- building (software) products
- building great teams
- reaching higher, further, faster, more ...
- deep technical knowledge (e.g. former software engineer work experience) ain't absolutely critical - but this person has to be able to shape questions using such objective, non-technical criteria that engineer's bullshit will be visible :)
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, 16000 - 24000 PLN net B2B negotiable based on your experience (contract of employment is also an option)
- Working with a talented team of about 50 passionate engineers, architects, and designers
- Flexible working hours in the perfectly located modern office (Central Tower, Aleje Jerozolimskie 81)
- Passionate, young and creative team in a fun, startup-biased working environment
- Regular in-house events for sharing knowledge and passion: lightning talks, retros, demos
- Occasional integration events like board games, bowling nights, ping-pong tournaments etc
- Fruits, veggies, cakes, coffee, tea on a house to keep you rolling like a pro