🤓 Senior Software Engineer Scala
14 000 - 19 000 PLN net
🌍 VirtusLab | Szlak 49, Kraków🖥 https://virtuslab.com
👉 Nice to have:
Are you a seasoned Scala engineer with passion and experience? Does the following describe you?
- has deep affection and understanding of the Scala language and functional programming concepts,
- has solid experience with the JVM platform,
- has grounded knowledge and understanding of structures and algorithms,
- has in-depth understanding of modern web technologies (Play experience would be ideal), distributed and async programming (Akka would be perfect),
- has good grasp on modern concepts/techniques like CQRS, Event Sourcing, or eventual consistency and both relational (ideally with Slick) and non-relational data models (NoSQL),
- understands the problems and intricacies of highly scalable, cloud based infrastructures.
We are not very much concerned with your formal education or any other formalism. What we care about is your passion, knowledge and experience.
This is not an entry-level position: we expect proven professional experience.
This is a general position within our company (not targeted at any particular project). As we are a healthy growing software company, we are always on a lookout for brilliant engineers.
We take on projects in various sectors (finance, e-commerce, software tools development, manufacturing etc) and for customers around the world (usually outside of Poland in the UK, US, Shanghai, Australia). These may be both startups or well-established organizations.
As a company we are mostly focused on Lightbend technologies (Scala, Akka, Akka-Http, Play, Spark) with a skew for more of a FP side of Scala (Scalaz / Cats etc). Usually our work is related to microservice architecture and distributed, highly scalable systems. Some of our projects are of unprecedented scale, complexity or are quite atypical. These list may include things like work with one of the largest Scala codebases in the world or custom compilers or even Scala IDE itself.
We are based in Cracow, Poland. We allow some sporadic remote work (usually 1 or 2 days a week), but the bulk of the work is to be done in our office with the rest of the team.
What to expect
We rely heavily on industry best practices and put a lot of emphasis on code quality, scalability, performance, availability and robustness. We take these things very seriously.
In most of our projects:
- we peer-review 100% of our code,
- we use continuous integration and deployment,
- we constantly test product performance to meet requirements,
- we use tools for static code analysis,
- we use and encourage contributing to open source projects.
We put emphasis on internal training. We even have a department which specializes in internal and external training. We also participate in and sponsor many technical conferences (both in Poland and abroad) and encourage employees to present speeches, run workshops or even become certified trainers. The professional growth of our team is an important part of our company culture.
If this sounds interesting to you, just get in touch and tell us about yourself.
What we expect
We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything we mentioned in the beginning section but we do expect you to have a general understanding of each of these areas together with a solid and in-depth expertise in one or two of them. In short we are focused mainly on T-shape skilled individuals. Above all we expect you to be curious and be willing to learn.
Oh and in case you haven’t figured it out already - fluency in English language (also spoken!) is a must. We do work with foreign customers and we strongly believe that seamless communication is one of the most important aspects of software projects - so naturally at least intermediate level written/spoken English is required.
We expect someone who will bring a sense of unrivaled curiosity and an urge to solve real world problems. You’ll need a warm and fun attitude and a sense of exploration. Above all we value people who put heart into their work and call themselves real craftsmen. People who not only don’t run from unprecedented challenges, but who actively expect problems and are ready to go down the rabbit hole to understand the complexities and find a solution.