🤓 Fullstack Software Engineer
15 000 - 25 000 PLN gross
🌍 Boclips | WeWork, Warszawa🖥 http://www.boclips.com
👉 Nice to have:
Who are we?
Boclips is the small but mighty UK educational technology start up that’s evolving the way video is used in classrooms across the US, Middle East and Asia. We have the world’s largest collection of educationally relevant short-form videos from partners including Ted Talks, Youtube, PBS, Minute Earth, The Smithsonian and The Wall St Journal. With video clips curated to academic standards, the boclips video platform allows teachers and publishers to easily find and use engaging content that brings lessons to life - in a safe ad-free platform.
Engineering at Boclips
Is the red/green/refactor cycle of TDD the way you believe good software should be written? Do you advocate pair programming for the energised way two engineers can power through even the most challenging problems? Keep reading.
We leverage state of the art technologies to deliver our solutions. Frontend components use React and Redux on top of TypeScript, backends are JVM based with Spring Boot powered by Kotlin. Concourse CI automatically tests and packages all services into Docker containers, which get deployed on a cloud Kubernetes cluster in the end.
It’s a big plus if you’ve worked with any of the above, but we don’t expect you to know it all, or in fact even most of them. As long as you have a well-rounded understanding of how modern web applications operate, using pair programming we’ll get you up and running in no time.
You’ll be part of an experienced, disciplined and most of all fun team of 13 engineers, here we are! We care mostly about people and about problems. Growing our team in Warsaw is super important. That’s where you come in! Our vision is to have a small, autonomous engineering and product team in Warsaw, closely-knit with our London team. For us that means sharing our engineering culture, practices and processes.
How do we work?
- We are an agile team. We do daily stand ups, retrospectives and IPMs.
- We pair program a lot to share context, learn from each other and solve problems more quickly.
- We value simplicity. This means we deliver continuously, which allows us to work in short cycles and ship code frequently.
- We test. Following the red/green refactor cycle of TDD is enjoyable and helps to keep everything in perspective. It helps us as engineers to think through a problem, detailing required functionality through tests.
- We value experimentation and learning. We have a #we-fail Slack channel, where the team can share their failures and celebrate what we learnt along the way.
What will you work on?
- You’ll work in a fullstack manner on features crucial to scaling our business. The educational tech community has defined a number of common protocols for exchanging information between learning platforms and implementing them is what we need to seamlessly integrate with partners and extend our customer reach.
- Another challenge will be in optimising our internal workflows. Many areas of content acquisition and delivery can be automated and made more friendly for the back office teams. This includes, apart from doing the engineering itself, talking to the teams and our UX designer in order to pinpoint requirements for essential improvements.
- That said, you’ll always have a chance to speak your mind and impact other areas of our business -- proactive approach is what we value a lot!
What about you?
We believe in hiring for engineering aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills. What does this mean?
- You can communicate clearly to all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners
- You advocate for writing high-quality code and leaving things in a better state than you found them.
- You’re a well-rounded software engineer who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- You have reached a good level of software craftsmanship, preferably fullstack.
- You love to learn. It’s important to you to be continually growing professionally and personally.
- You are humble and kind, even when you disagree.
- You know that loving your work and having fun doing it together is a major driver of top-performing teams.
- Share Options
- Healthcare Package
- Individual Professional Development Budget - 7000 PLN a year
- Team gatherings in London
- Opportunity to work on a high growth startup in EdTech
Would you like to know a bit more about what it’s like to be part of the boclips engineering team? Take a look at our engineering blog.